After your optometrist or ophthalmologist has determined what is causing your visual impairment, our low vision specialist, Dr. Huggett, will do a thorough examination to see how much vision you have left and determine if we can improve that vision.
This is a 5-step process:
- Assessing your particular needs.
- We’ll make an evaluation on how much vision you have left.
- We’ll evaluate your overall visual health and the impact of disease or abnormal health-related conditions that may impact your vision.
- We will provide practical tips on lighting, contrast enhancement and glare control that will help to improve your vision.
- We will work with your current eye doctor to provide services they cannot.
- Providing appropriate intervention to improve your functioning vision.
- We’ll take into account any special visual demands, needs, and adjustments to vision loss that you might have.
- Exploring new technology and devices specific to your impairment that can help you accomplish everyday tasks like reading, watching TV, recognizing faces, and more.
- Providing you with counseling and education regarding your visual impairment.
- We will explain treatment options, including risks and benefits.
- We’ll recommend a customized rehabilitation plan – a path forward to help you see better!
- We will instruct you on how to use the recommended visual aids and devices that will improve your vision.
- And in some case, we may provide appropriate referrals for services that Dr. Huggett and his team may not be able to offer.