Your eyes are complex organs that need many different vitamins and nutrients to function properly.
Common conditions, such as diabetic retinopathy, age-related macular degeneration, glaucoma and cataracts, can impact your eyes.
Though a variety of different factors causes these conditions, nutrition seems to have an influence on all of them — at least in part.
There are several key vitamins and nutrients that help maintain eye health.
1. Vitamin A: Vitamin A plays a crucial role in vision by maintaining a clear cornea, which is the outside covering of your eye.
2. Vitamin E: Vitamin E is a potent antioxidant that helps protect your cells — including your eye cells — from damage by free radicals, which are harmful, unstable molecules.
3. Vitamin C: Like vitamin E, vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that may protect your eyes against damaging free radicals
4. Vitamins B6, B9, and B12: This combination of vitamins can lower levels of homocysteine, a protein in your body that may be associated with inflammation and an increased risk of developing AMD
5. Riboflavin: Another B vitamin studied in relation to eye health is riboflavin (vitamin B2). As an antioxidant, riboflavin has the potential to reduce oxidative stress in your body, including your eyes
6. Niacin: Recently, studies have suggested that niacin may play a role in the prevention of glaucoma, a condition in which the optic nerve of your eye becomes damaged (23).
7. Lutein and Zeaxanthin: Both of these carotenoids can be found in the macula and retina of your eyes, where they help filter potentially harmful blue light, thus protecting your eyes from damage
Age-Related Eye Vitamins
There are eye vitamins you can take that were formulated and patented based on the clinical evidence from the landmark, independent Age-Related Eye Disease Studies also known as AREDS and AREDS 2.
These formulas have been scientifically proven to slow the rate of progression of Macular Degeneration.
Ask your eye care professional if taking these eye vitamins would be beneficial for you. Or you can explore purchasing these vitamins by following this link.